Consumer smartphone analytics: mobile video
19 July 2017 | Research
Survey report | PPTX and PDF (34 slides); Excel | Video Strategies
"Video content has become all-pervasive in mobile apps and Millennials are driving video traffic towards cellular networks."
A deeper understanding of how users engage with their smartphones can help telecoms operators, vendors and software developers make more-informed strategic and tactical decisions. We analyse data collected in real time from more than 8000 smartphones in this report, and provide insights into how people use mobile video services in Germany, India, the UK and the USA.
- analyses real-world smartphone usage data to provide a detailed view of how consumers engage with mobile video apps on their tablets and smartphones
- examines how usage varies by geography, demographic, content and service type and relationships between key usage metrics, such as data traffic, minutes of viewing, and session duration
- provides recommendations for operators on segmenting their customer base to account for mobile video usage.
Survey data coverage
The analysis is based on data provided by Verto Analytics, and was collected using a passive on-device monitoring app called Smart Panel during July and August 2016. The app runs in the background of the device. It registers actions undertaken by the user and relevant activity on the device, namely:
- app download and usage
- system processes
- data traffic from each app/process
- voice traffic
- web browser activity.
- United Kingdom (UK)
- United States of America (USA)
Côte d’Ivoire telecoms market report 2020
Operator business services: Austria forecast 2019–2024
Facebook’s investment in Jio Platforms is likely to pave the way for a super app in the mould of WeChat