Consumer smartphone analytics: device capabilities and usage
25 May 2017 | Research
Survey report | PPTX and PDF (33 slides); Excel | Mobile Devices
"Smartphone quality matters greatly to operators: higher-end smartphones generate an average of around 50% more data traffic."
A deeper understanding of how users engage with their smartphones can help telecoms operators, vendors and software developers make more informed strategic and tactical decisions. We analyse data collected in real-time from more than 8000 smartphones in this report and provide insights on how engagement time, data traffic and video-viewing behaviour vary depending on the characteristics of the smartphones used (for example, age, network capability, camera quality and screen size).
This report provides answers to the following questions.
- What differences are there in users’ smartphone engagement (in terms of time and apps used), depending on how advanced the device is?
- Which apps and services are used on smartphones with different characteristics (for example, 3G or 4G, model age or camera quality)?
- How much data is generated by smartphones with different characteristics?
- How does video-viewing behaviour and data consumption vary depending on the screen size of the smartphone used?
Survey data coverage
The analysis is based on data provided by Verto Analytics, collected through a passive on-device monitoring app "Smart Panel". The app runs in the background of the device. It registers actions undertaken by the user and relevant activity on the device as follows:
- app download and usage
- system processes
- data traffic by each app/process
- voice traffic
- web browser activity.
- United Kingdom (UK)
- United States of America (USA)
Côte d’Ivoire telecoms market report 2020
Operator business services: Austria forecast 2019–2024
Facebook’s investment in Jio Platforms is likely to pave the way for a super app in the mould of WeChat