Consumer smartphone analytics: communication services
04 April 2017 | Research
Survey report | PPTX and PDF (34 slides); Excel | Future Comms
This report analyses real-world smartphone usage data to answer urgent questions about the status of communication services. The report looks at consumer engagement with various social and communication services, assesses the level of substitution of legacy operator services, and outlines the state of relevant operator initiatives.
This report and data annex provide:
- insight into real-world usage of communication services including penetration, time spent on apps and frequency of engagement
- discussion of how communication relates to adjacent social and entertainment services
- quantification of the level of substitution of legacy operator services (voice and SMS/MMS) by IP-based alternatives
- demographic analysis of communications usage and behaviour on smartphones
- usage and engagement data for operators' own apps.
Survey data coverage
The analysis is based on data provided by Verto Analytics, and was collected using a passive on-device monitoring app called Smart Panel. The app runs in the background of the device. It registers actions undertaken by the user and relevant activity on the device, namely:
- app download and usage
- system processes
- data traffic by each app/process
- voice traffic
- web browser activity.
- United Kingdom (UK)
- United States of America (USA).
The 5G network: an experiment with a USD300 billion prize
Video and podcast
Intuit’s purchase of Mailchimp will significantly expand its addressable market
Operators’ reporting shows signs of business revenue growth and highlights effective growth strategies