Autonomous vehicles: exploring the opportunities for operators
07 June 2017 | Research
Strategy report | PPTX and PDF (14 slides) | IoT and M2M Services
All of the major car companies and many technology firms are developing autonomous vehicles. These vehicles will require some degree of connectivity for autonomous driving, but consumers' activities in the time freed up from driving could represent larger opportunities for telecoms operators.
This report provides:
- a description of how autonomous vehicles work and the degree to which they will use wide-area networks
- a view of the timeframes for availability and widespread penetration of autonomous vehicles
- a discussion of the barriers that autonomous vehicles must overcome
- a comparison of competing vehicle communication (V2X) standards (DSRC and LTE-based solutions)
- a discussion of the likely impact of autonomous vehicles on telecoms networks.
IoT/M2M revenue and connections tracker 3Q 2021
IoT forecast: connections, revenue and technology trends 2021–2030
How 5G’s flexible underlying technology serves the needs of consumers and enterprises – podcast