Communication platforms: consumer survey
This report focuses on aspects of Analysys Mason’s Consumer survey that relate to smartphone users’ behaviour and preferences in Europe, North America, the Middle East and North Africa, emerging and developed Asia–Pacific and South Africa. It focuses on respondents’ usage of communication platforms (including Android Messages, Discord, Facebook Messenger, iMessage, Snapchat, Telegram, WeChat, WhatsApp and Zoom).
- A look at regional and national trends in penetration of selected communication services for the period between 2019 and 2022
- Survey respondents' top-four preferences for communication platforms across 21 countries in 2022
- An analysis of penetration split by gender
- An analysis of penetration split by age group
- An analysis of penetration split by household income
Survey data coverage
Our surveys were conducted in association with Dynata and ODR between August and September 2022. The survey groups were chosen to be representative of the mobile-internet-using population. We set quotas on age, gender and geographical spread to that effect. There were a minimum of 750 respondents per country.
- Western Europe (WE): France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Norway, Spain, Sweden and the UK
- Central and Eastern Europe (CEE): Poland and Turkey
- North America (NA): Canada and the USA
- Developed Asia–Pacific (DVAP): Australia and New Zealand
- Emerging Asia–Pacific (EMAP): Malaysia and the Philippines
- Sub-Saharan Africa: South Africa
- Android/Samsung Messages
- Facebook Messenger
Please also see our companion article Operators may struggle to compete with WhatsApp even with reduced A2P SMS pricing.
DownloadsSample pages (PDF)
Analysys Mason's annual consumer survey tracks and measures consumers’ changing telecoms and media habits, device ownership, connectivity options and future plans
Application-to-person vendor tracker: trends and analysis 2Q 2023
Business A2P messaging will continue to migrate away from SMS, but operators can help to stem the flow
Third-party communication apps and RCS deployments: trends and analysis 2023