Rural broadband connectivity: challenges, opportunities and case studies for satellite connectivity
01 June 2023 | Research
Report | PPTX and PDF (13 slides) | Satellite Strategies for Telcos
This report explores the approaches used by the satellite industry and 'national broadband/rural connectivity/social inclusion' programmes to increase broadband connectivity. Focusing on the business models available to the satellite industry, the report looks at five different national case studies to explore the impacts on household broadband penetration rates. The report also provides challenges and recommendations for the satellite connectivity industry to capture additional direct-to-household (or on-premises) subscribers.
Case studies included in this report
- Australia – satellite essential, looking for the ‘next solution’
- Ireland – heavy focus on terrestrial services
- Mexico – rapid deployments of hotspot model
- Nigeria – hotspots and an emphasis on affordability
- Sweden – direct-to-household and the "last 2%"
Questions answered in this report
- What are the major consumer broadband business models for satellite connectivity?
- How much revenue will the satellite industry generate from consumer broadband and ‘social inclusion’ programmes over the next 10 years?
- What terminal and consumer premises equipment pricing strategies are emerging to capture price-sensitive customers?
- Where can satellite connectivity co-exist alongside terrestrial-heavy national broadband strategies?