The cloud-gaming opportunity for operators
20 May 2020 | Research
"Operators are the ideal sales channel partners for cloud-gaming service providers. "
Consumers spent USD130 billion on digital gaming worldwide in 2019. However, few operators are receiving any of this revenue, despite their core business being adjacent to the gaming market. Operators have the opportunity to secure a share of this revenue by entering the cloud-gaming (or game-streaming) value chain and embracing the new way of gaming.
This report answers the following questions.
- How big is the cloud-gaming opportunity in the context of the digital-gaming market?
- In which areas of the world will cloud gaming reach a significant scale in the medium term?
- What are the main drivers for this?
- Do operators already have the key assets for the launch and delivery of cloud-gaming services in their market?
- Can operators play a role in providing infrastructure-as-a-service (IaaS)?
- Can operators launch their own cloud-gaming services, or should they partner with third-party service providers?
Operators’ opportunities in the cloud-gaming value chain
Facebook’s investment in Jio Platforms is likely to pave the way for a super app in the mould of WeChat
Connected Consumer Survey 2019: pay-TV and OTT video players in EMAP must diversify and specialise
The use of OTT video services is becoming nomadic and operators’ strategies need to change