Mobile payments and commerce in Sub-Saharan Africa: consumer survey
This report focuses on how consumers in Sub-Saharan Africa (SSA) engage with mobile financial services. It presents data on mobile payments, mobile commerce and consumer attitudes towards data harvesting by various service providers including digital economy players.
Topics analysed in this report
- Major e-commerce trends in SSA, including the type of devices that consumers use to purchase goods online and the barriers to further m-commerce penetration
- Payment mechanisms favoured by consumers for e-commerce and physical commerce
- Use of m-wallets in commerce
- Most popular m-wallet solutions in the region
- Organisations that consumers in the region are most willing to trust
Survey data coverage
The survey was conducted in association with On Device Research between September and October 2021. The survey groups were chosen to be representative of the mobile-internet-using population in Sub-Saharan Africa. We set quotas on age, gender and geographical spread to that effect. There were at least 750 respondents per country.
- South Africa
Analysys Mason's annual consumer survey tracks and measures consumers’ changing telecoms and media habits, device ownership, connectivity options and future plans