Evaluating the 5G business opportunity in the Gulf
- 5G has been generating significant interest in the Gulf region, with operators conducting live 5G trials and commercial launches.
- In a move to encourage investment in 5G and innovation, a global vendor commissioned Analysys Mason to conduct a study to evaluate the size of the potential business opportunity for telecoms operators and to identify the key industry requirements to achieve the societal and business benefits promised by 5G.
- We initially shortlisted five key 5G use cases relevant for each key country in the Gulf region based on a long list of 5G use cases and a detailed, multi-dimensional scoring model.
- For each use case, we examined the possible roles for operators in the value chain, identified the key regulatory, technical and business success factors needed to ensure a successful introduction, and developed a series of 10-year models to help operators evaluate the cost and benefits associated with each role in the value chain.
Figure: Cumulative revenue for a typical operator in Qatar, by role ambition, 2020–2030
- We produced a white paper for our client (released at the GITEX conference in Dubai in 2018), which presents the key findings of our study and offers recommendations to operators, governments and enterprises about how to fulfil the 5G potential in the region.
- Our client is expected to use the outputs of our business case modelling exercise as a key tool for engaging with operator customers on the business potential of key 5G use cases.